Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Boldly Going Where This Woman Has Not Gone ...

Okay ... .well almost. What movie or show is that line from anyways: "Boldly going where no man has gone"? Sari or MamaD do either of you know seeing as you guys seem to be the entertainment buffs? It is not Superman is it? For some reason that sticks in my head.

Anyways, I am only 2 days away from reaching my pregnancy milestone .... 33 weeks. I had Kaelen right on day 1 of week 33 so anything after Thursday is unchartered territory for me. I will be a rookie at the whole pregnancy thing and can honestly say that I am both excited yet a little nervous. These past few days have been rough; filled with plenty of aches and pains. The kind of pains that I would flag to my doctor when pregnant with Kaelen only to be told that it was normal growing pains in pregnancy. Did any of you experience that general painful feeling when trying to sit down? And when sitting down you felt bruised as if you had ridden a bike for at least 2 days straight? My sister claims that it is called your sitting bones, and man, my sitting bones in the pelvic area are killing me!!

I am looking forward to Thursday though. I will have the chance to see my obstetrician to discuss my delivery plan and what our overall plan will be from here on in and later on that day I have an ultrasound to measure my cervix and check this little one's positioning out. This weekend will be busy too as we are planning on setting up the baby's room. My way of thinking is if I set it up (which I didn't for Kaelen), then the baby is bound to stay within me longer. We aren't going to do anything new for the room; just use the same theme and bedding as we did for Kaelen. We had chosen a sage green and decorated it with cartoon like zoo animals as we didn't know what the sex of our baby was going to be, therefore it is perfectly suitable to use again for this little one. Kaelen is completely wired in knowing that he gets to help set up the room and share "his baby stuff" with his little sister. Sigh .... I only hope that this enthusiasm lasts forever with him but am not naive enough to know that there won't be a struggle at some point with perceived neglect and jealousy within the next year.

On an ending note, I would like to give a HUGE congratulations to my good friend Karen. Karen and I happen to get pregnant close to the same time. Our first borns, Kaelen and Cadence are just under 2 months apart in age and now our babies will be pretty close to the same.

Karen made it to 38 weeks, 3 days with twins and finally was able to get a bed in one of our hospitals here for induction (our hospital maternity wards are completely back logged right now). If those twins had it their way, they would have likely stayed in Mommy's party belly for at least another month or so. Anyways, Karen gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, Claire Margaret at 10:46 pm on Sunday, January 14th. Claire weighed in at 6 lbs 13 oz and 19.5 inches long. Claire was delivered naturally after approximately 5 - 6 hours of labour. Twin B, Samuel ___ ? (sorry Samuel ... I didn't catch your middle name as your Daddy was talking sooooo very fast) was born via cesarean at around 11:20ish pm. Samuel tried in vain to come out with a head and foot at the same time meanwhile Mommy's body was just not cooperating. When his little heart rate started to plummet, Mommy was wheeling immediately to OR for surgery. Samuel weighed in at 7 lbs 4 oz (I think) and was 19 inches long. The babies are doing excellent as is Mommy although as I am sure you can understand, is quite sore.

So my dear friend Karen: I am so very proud of you!! Good job there girl - 14 lbs of baby!. I am very much looking forward to snuggling your precious babies and giving you a hug of congratulations!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Allie,

I think the show you are quoting from is Star Trek. Correct me someone if I'm wrong!

Love,
Janny

Jenn said...

Allie,

I was pregnant with Lucas for 41 weeks and 5 days! The last 7 weeks should be similar to what you are going through now. Achy, too big, miss sleeping on your tummy. Enjoy it!

Jenn

Anonymous said...

Totally Star Trek!!!!

Anonymous said...

Well, when I was pregnant with Ethan, I was having pains in hte pellvic region and my midwife told me to take a warm bath everynight. I did and the pains went away. Also, your friend is a wonder woman! Delivering a baby naturally AND having a c-seciton! I can't imagine! Yikes!

sari said...

Congratulations to Karen!

And yes, it's Star Trek.

Both of my boys didn't want to come out either, Eight stayed in a week late and was induced, and Five was born via c-section about a week early because a) he was big and b) his due date was Christmas and we all figured I'd be back home again by then.

Feel better! :-)