Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Travel Hangover

The past few days have been similar to that of a hangover; dog assed tired, lack of energy and a persistent nagging headache. Add in the overwhelming "To Do List" which consists of heaping loads of laundry, flower beds that are screaming for weeding and TLC, a lawn that rivals the distant field of overgrown weeds and every other basic household chore that you can think of, lets just say that it has been very easy to get distracted with other minor unimportant things.

Today however, I allowed myself the pure pleasure of lying down with my children. On the rare chance that both kids nap at the same time (or should I say that if Kaelen ever naps), as most moms can attest to, it is your perfect opportunity to whip off a few of those items on that never ending list. However, with the continued lack of energy or desire to perform up to my usual standards of anal super mom, I said to myself, "why not"?

There is just something to be said about lying next to sleeping children. Usually curled up in the fetal position, those angelic little faces looking so peaceful, it is enough to rejuvenate any one's soul. I usually end up with tears within the first five minutes of lying next to one of my children as I become engulfed with emotions such as love and thankfulness. A wave of warmth washed over me and my tears cleansed me, reminding me that the long days are just as precious as the fun days. And, with this feeling of contentment, I remember that time is so very precious with my little ones as each day goes by so very quickly. I slowly nodded off into a peaceful little nap with Masyn curled into my chest and Kaelen holding onto my hand, in which an hour later the three of us awoke in the same positions.

And, wouldn't you know it, without realizing it until now, every item on that "To Do List" was completed this afternoon and evening. And here I thought that we spent the whole time playing .....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh so sweet Allie!! I am so envious of this! I have never been able to sleep well with my children. I do appreciate what sweet angles they are while they're sleeping. I LOVE to peek in on my kids while they sleep.

Glad you're back!

Jenn said...

What a great post. I love sleeping beside Lucas too. =)

Jenn

sari said...

I don't think we often take enough time to just do nothing - your nap sounds wonderful!

It's easy to feel like there's "always something that needs to be done" so it's nice you got to take that time and your chores still were done! Yay!