Thursday, December 21, 2006

Yesterdays News

The appointment went better than I had expected. There are still some uncertainties that need to be dealt with but that will come later this afternoon at my appointment with the high risk obstetrician.

The exciting news is that we are having a girl (not that it really mattered the gender). We have always kind of known but the ultrasounds until yesterday were never really able to confirm it. Yes, I know that ultrasounds aren't 100% accurate but let me tell you - we had the perfect in between the legs shot so there really left no doubt in our minds as to what the gender is of our baby. Our baby girl is doing fabulous too! She is already practising breathing and her gestimated size right now is about 3.25 lbs. We got the perfect frontal face view and it almost looked as if she started smiling right at us as we zoned in on her facial features. She's got perfect little hands and feet and looks perfect in everyway. Just seeing her yesterday, has made me all that much more excited to meet her in person.

The uncertainties that still exist is that she is in a Frank Breech position right now. So, hopefully she will be able to turn herself around in time for birth. As selfish as this sounds, I don't really relish the thought of a cesarean birth nor the pain that is associated with the physical attempts to move the baby in the proper position. In addition to her positioning, my cervix didn't measure up to where I was hoping it would be. It came in at 2.8 cm. My obstetrician had told me that if I was anywhere under 3 cm, that she would likely want me to start bed rest as a precaution, yet the perinatologist that oversaw my ultrasound yesterday felt that I could continue going about my regular routine and just be cautious. In the big picture, it is my obstetrician's call as she is the one who is my primary caregiver, so it will be interesting to see what she has to say this afternoon.

Thanks to everyone who posted a comment or called me with encouragement. I was pretty nervous about the ultrasound yesterday and your prayers and support really, truly comforted me. I am blessed to have such good people in my life that care about me.

So my friends, here is to hopefully another encouraging post tomorrow of me not being laid up in bed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU ALLIE!!!!!! A little girl!! I am sure Kaelen will be the best big brother she will ever have ;o)

beth said...

I've been thinking of you and waiting for this update. It all sounds like pretty good news. So happy about your perfect little girl, K's little sister. I would imagine you still have a lot of time for her to turn over. There are a lot of things you can try for that I think.

Hope you get good news at the doc today.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad for your good report! And a girl, how exciting! Getting the ultrasound(s) is always my favorite part of the pregnancy. Well, I'm still going to pray that your OBGYN has great wisdom in taking care of you.

sari said...

I'm glad all is ok.

I had a c-section with my second. While long term it was harder to recover with a c-section than it was the first time, I will say that short term, it was much easier having the c-section. I was up and moving around the next morning instead of being pretty much laid up for a month.

I'm so happy your baby is healthy! How wonderful!