Friday, November 03, 2006

Random Acts of Kindness

As a society, we often do not have the time to stop, sit down and soak in the world around us. It is a constant go, go, go. Dictated to us by our jobs, by our partner's jobs, by family, by debt and the need to have things. Along with this hectic paced life we all live, communication tends to break down, emotions run high and one may feel that their life is completely out of control.

That is where Random Acts of Kindness kick in. Why not take a moment out of your day to make someone else's day? Not only are you benefitting from this, but you have put a smile on another's face; made them feel loved and appreciated. You gave them the gift of forgetting about their worries for a moment and allowed them to focus on themselves.

I have to admit that I have rather slacked off of late with my little acts of kindness. It used to be a goal of mine to secretly target someone once a week to make their day; whether it was by a small gift, a note about a quality that I admire in them or giving them a huge hug and telling them how much I appreciated them. Sadly, I have gotten wrapped up in my own life and haven't thought about others.

So, thank you to my dear friend Jodi for reminding me what is important in life. Jodi made my day yesterday with a random act of kindness. For the rest of the day, I had a smile on my face that lasted through the night. The irritants of the norm that usually get me all riled up seemed so petty that I just didn't bother wasting my energy on getting upset. All because someone thought of me and did something thoughtful.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A post that is a good reminder! Sometimes it's easy to get so self-consumed with our lives that we stop looking for ways to help others.

And a playdate? I'm always game! It'll be a quick and busy trip at Christmas, consumed with family and shopping but I'll be spending more time there this summer and count me in!

beth said...

This is a really excellent reminder. It's so hard to get wrapped up in it all. I'm always glad when I stop to take a moment and this idea is even better.