Monday, October 02, 2006

Sir Elton John is King ... er Queen!

Last Friday, I was so very lucky to have been given the opportunity to see Sir Elton John in concert. Not only did I fulfill a "to do" on my list of 100 things for my life, I got to spend an evening with my family reliving fond memories.

Sir Elton John has always been a favorite of mine. I own every single CD of his. When growing up, my favorite song was "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" with Kiki Dee and then later on, switched over to "Empty Garden" and "I'm Still Standing". When we were young, our thing to do on our family days (Sundays) , my dad would pull out the 8 tracks, 45's and LP's and we would play name that tune for hours. Elton, Peter Frampton, Cliff Richards, Mama's & Papa's would all make their appearances and as soon as we the song was guessed, the four of us would break out in a dance and bop around the room for the remainder of the song.

My mom and sister planned this weekend of memories and pleasure as a birthday gift to me and in essence to the three of us. And Elton did not let us down. I can honestly say, he was the best concert that I have ever been to and he was worth every single penny of the cost of those tickets. He came on stage at 8:20 PM and played straight until 11:00 PM - no breaks. There were songs that he played solo and songs that he played with his five piece band. There was no real stage show - just him, his amazing talent, his sincerity and the honesty in his songs. He played old and new and catered to the entire crowd.

In short, if you ever have the opportunity to see this amazing man in concert, I would highly recommend it.

1 comment:

Buffy said...

Maybe we should just call him The Monarch.