Sunday, February 18, 2007

Still Coasting on that High .....

Thank you! Thank you! And thank you! Your comments and well wishes are greatly appreciated and I feel so very blessed to have good natured people such as yourselves in my life!

I am excited to say that we are home now. I was given the choice to stay or go late yesterday and jumped all over the ability to leave despite receiving the best quality care a new mommy could ask for. There is just something to be said about feeling like crap in the comfort of your own home rather than a busy hospital room.

So where to start ....

Masyn is a gorgeous little girl. She is definitely a tiny mite and I was truly surprised at how little she is. However, her small stature and tiny wails just spike the cuteness factor off the charts really. She is a fabulous feeder and we were blessed to have established breast feeding in the recover room right after the surgery! She latched perfectly her first time! For the first two days, she cluster fed demanding that Mommy provide some quality tasting moo, and Mommy's body was only too happy to accept the challenge seeing as I could have supplied every child in Africa with their own years worth of supply when breastfeeding Kaelen. How big can boobs get? I swear that I am working on a triple F at the moment and if Paul had a ten pin bowling hobby, I would have stolen his ball bag for a little support almost immediately. The boobies are huge, painfully engorged yet giving my daughter all of the nourishment that she could possibly ask for.

For now, Masyn eats and sleeps and decides to check the world out around her at 2:00 am. Luckily this Mommy is only too happy to comply with this night routine for now. It gives us a great opportunity to bond even more when there are little distractions around us.

How is Mommy doing? Well, I have certainly had better days, I am not going to lie. Whether it is due to a reaction from the spinal tap or a result of a few challenges during the cesarean, I am experiencing a severly swollen bladder to complicate things. For a lack of a better description, my bladder is swollen, spasming and trying to pee isn't the most pleasant experience. What the doctors can not determine is whether all of the swelling that I have is my uterus or is it my bladder .... It could also be an infection which I will be tested for come Tuesday if my discomforts are still prevalent. If I didn't have this, I could honestly say that I feel great. I know that the discomforts are only short term so hopefully they will phase out soon so I can fully enjoy my family.

Other than that, all is good in our household. As silly as it sounds, we were taken by surprise a little at Masyn's arrival despite knowing that there was a small percentage of that happening. The ironic thing is that Masyn decided that she was going to come irregardless of whether the ECV worked or not. When getting ready for the ECV and having both the ultrasound and non stress test, it was evident that I was experiencing mild contractions. They were mild in the sense that I chalked the discomfort up to being constipated. (insert big smile here). After the ECV was complete and the perinatologist deciding that there was no use in stressing her out (as she hadn't during the procedure), I was hooked back up to the non stress machine for the mandatory 20 minutes to ensure that Masyn was okay. It was then that it was obvious that I was in labour as my contractions were only 2 minutes apart. I can still somewhat sheepishly say that I didn't really think much of them and was shocked to learn that I had gone from being 2 cms dialated to 7 cms within 45 minutes. By the time the reality of that sunk in, I was being wheeled down to OR for the cesarean that I have been secretly terrified to have. For me, the cesarean still seems cold and unnatural and I really struggled with keeping my emotions in check while being prepped for surgery. The emotions got completely out of hand upon hearing my baby girl cry out to the world at being yanked out of her warm oven and seeing her in all of her naked glory covered in vernix, blood, poop, pee and all those other good birthing fluids. Experiencing this all with my hubby wiping away my tears made it easier to realize that all was going to be okay and soon, I would be able to hold my precious angel. I got my wish almost immediately upon entering the recovery room and the rest .... well you know.

So, I am off to attempt to nurse my baby with these hugely engorged breasts of mine but first perhaps a few cold packs to help soften these puppies up. I know, I know ... Ellen and Jan, you guys are probably torn between shock and laughter that I would write so bluntly about all of this, meanwhile all of my Mommy friends are likely smiling and laughing in total understanding.

Until tomorrow .... take care and thank you all again for all of your support!!!

9 comments:

kate said...

happy homecoming to both of you! i hope you feel better soon, but it sounds like you have the high of that new love to outweigh the discomfort and that's a good thing!

Jenn said...

Oooooohhh I forgot about the engorged breasts! Although my husband will enjoy it. =)

Jenn

dlaine7 said...

I'm coming over tomorrow as soon as I wake up!! I'm wiping tears away from my eyes looking at her beautiful face on your blog, knowing that one of my very best friends in this entire world has just delivered the most beautiful little girl into the world, and we are only 4 blocks away from each other!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck getting me out of your house! I'm going to be stalking you...by the way, the drug house on our old block and another house on the old block are now listed on MLS!! Are you sure that you and Paulie don't want to be neighbours?? I"m not psycho, really!! Love you all and I CAN'T WAIT TO GIVE YOU A BIG HUG!!!

Goofball said...

hi Allie, good to hear that you made it home ok with Masyn :). I hope the bladder/uterus problem improves quickly and that you recover well from your cesarean ! Just think that Masyn is in very good company being a cesarean girl....I happen to know a Belgian cesarean girl that grew up as a total beauty, smart intelligent and funny woman ;). Hmm hmm hmmm.

Oh and I wasn't in shock at all about your bluntness. Why did you think that? You seem to forget that I already know you quite a while, missy! (and other new mommy's seem to be blunt all over the world and why shouldn't we/they be open about such a great natural wonder?).

Keep on having fun with your big boobs ;). Big hug and a kiss on Masyn's little nose.

Anonymous said...

Welcome home and welcome back. I've been missing you and your blogs for the past couple of days. It's a great feeling to be home from three days in the hospital, isn't it?
Take Care of yourself and we can't wait to see you all soon.

Unknown said...

Maysn...what a GREAT name. I am thrilled for you and can totally relate to the engorgement and painful recovery. May it come quickly for you so you can fully enjoy your new little miracle!

Anonymous said...

That is so great! I am so excited for you. You carried Masyn much longer than Kalaen! I LOVE that first week at home. Everything is so new, so precious. Yikes! I'd better stop myself right now before I start to have the urge! Congratulations!

Lesley said...

Glad to hear you're well, besides the bladder/uterus issue. I had a ceserean for both my boys and didn't have any complications although I still haven't recovered sensation along the scar line. The docs said it would take about a year, it's been 3.5 years and I'm still waiting.
Looking forward to more pics of your precious newbie and big brother. Is he loving being a big brother?

Anonymous said...

Always great to read everything is turning out well. Have fun.


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/