Tuesday, February 13, 2007

A Day for Reflection .... and Cheering

The day has arrived. I have been waiting patiently for it to come and now that it is here, I have mixed feelings about it. It is my last day at work today. As I drove to work in two hours of rush hour traffic, the first thing that crossed my mind is "Yes. No more dealing with this absurdity!" But as I got closer to work, it also occurred to me that this was the last time I would likely be driving to this particular place of employment. I am a contract employee so I am not protected by provincial legislation for my employer to hold my position or one equivalent to it until my return. And, if you live in Canada, you can likely relate to the fact that there are millions out there that would give their eye teeth to work for a NHL team. So, if I were to come back, I would go right back into that pool of millions vying for a job whenever a posting comes out publicly.

What I didn't expect today is this feeling of sadness. I mean, here I am, the one that is always commenting about how I would love to be at home with my son and how much I am looking forward to it. So where did this sense of sadness come from? Perhaps the hormones are running rampant hence making me more emotional towards the well wishes that everyone is sending me, or to the multiple hugs that I am receiving or for the oh so thoughtful gifts that are being bestowed on me. I never expected any of this and am truly touched by the heartfelt generosity my co workers are showering me with.

So, to the few coworkers that I know lurk on my blog site, please pass on the message if I don't effectively do: I will miss the daily laughs with you all, I will miss the daily challenges that come up but most of all, I will miss everyone's smiling faces and the way come game day, that everyone pulls together and works like a team. I am honored to have work along side of you all and I will take this experience with me and learn everything that I can from it. Thank you for supporting me through the good times and the sad times. Thank you all for accepting me into the family fold almost immediately. The past year and a half has been a lot of fun for me and I will miss you all dearly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your last day of work huh? Well, congratulations! Now get some rest before that baby comes out and you don't see rest for many weeks! J