Sunday, September 16, 2007

Uh Oh ... The Plague Has Arrived

Yep. That's right, it has arrived. We are on Day 3 and both kids have been felled so the next day or so should prove to be interesting if not long. This is Masyn's first cold and I just hate to see babies get colds as you feel so very helpless at times to help alleviate their discomfort. Aside from children's Tylenol, fluids, the nasal aspirator and possibly a humidifier, what else can I do? Any suggestions? She is a cuddler and even more so now, so she has been attached to me since yesterday afternoon. We slept together last night and well now I am finding it difficult. Difficult because Kaelen wants Mommy too. He is being a trooper, but has periods of the day where he just wants to be held and comforted by Mommy's heartbeat and warm body wrapped around his. I try to accommodate this by putting Masyn beside me when she is sleeping and then hold the little man but it doesn't always work. Sigh ....

The most concerning of this whole thing is that my girlfriend's little boy has just been diagnosed with the measles. And as Murphy's Law would dictate, my children were playing with him right at his contagious stage. I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed that this doesn't develop into the measles for either one although, her son's illness started out with the runny nose and fever. Crap. That is what my kids have right now. I check their bellies and backs almost on an hourly basis in hopes that I don't see "the rash" developing and am convincing myself that their illnesses is just the seasonal fall cold. Please oh please be that .........

5 comments:

kate said...

o no, o no! measles! i'm seriously hoping that's not what's going on for your family. ouch.

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I hope all is well!

Steph

Andrea said...

I do hope along with you that you have zero cases of measles in your house! Colds are bad enough, but measles would be much tougher! Sooooo....here's hoping with you that it's just a normal little cold!

Jenn said...

Did Kaelen get vaccinated against measles??

I hope they are feeling better soon and I can only imagine what it's like to have two sick babies and only one mommy.

Good Luck

Jenn

Allie said...

Jenn - yes he has. However, my girlfriend's children were both vaccinated and have ended up getting them. I am more worried however for Masyn than Kaelen as I know that he is old enough that he would be okay should he get them.

The good news though is that I am pretty sure that both kids just have nasty colds for it if were the measles, it would have reared it's ugly head by now.