Tuesday, September 05, 2006

This Mommy is M.A.D.D.

Statistics show that deaths that occur over any long weekend are usually the result of drinking and driving. You would think that we have evolved to a day and age of awareness and responsibility. I guess that just goes to show how naive I can be in assuming that others are listening to the messages being relayed out there. Case in hand:

On Friday night, after a most enjoyable evening of watching Daddy play baseball and Kaelen playing until his little heart's content, the little man and I were on our way home. After a quick stop at the grocery store, we quickly head up the hill towards home. With groceries in the front seat, Kaelen quietly singing to himself in the back seat and Mommy singing along to the music as well, we were in for quite a shock immediately. Out of no where, an old white rusty Ford crosses two lanes of traffic, directly cuts us off, drives up onto the curb and then down again, only to fish tail onto a new street. Someone was watching for us above as they allowed for me to slam on my brakes (and lay some serious tire tracks) and swerve to narrowly miss being hit. Shocked that this has happened, I yell (unknowingly at the time) at this idiot only to realize that he is obviously drunk. We unfortunately had to go onto the same road, so I cautiously inch onto the new road and make my way to our house. Kaelen is crying in the back seat, the groceries are practically imbedded into my dashboard and I am trying to find my cell phone to call the police.

As Murphy's Law would prevail, my cell phone dies, Kaelen is crying really hard at this point and I have gone from a frightened shock to extreme anger. How dare this selfish man almost hit us and potentially hurt my babies? I was torn between calming my son and following this idiot to hurt him. Common sense took over and I realized that I needed to take care of my son. He was the one that needed reassuring right now as he was crying to the point of puking. As I made my way home, I realized that I was following the idiot. As it turns out, I am pretty sure that he lives in my neighborhood. I didn't follow him right home because Kaelen was too upset.

We made our way home and I took my precious boy in my arms to soothe him. There was no way that he was going to let go of me so as soon as I got into the house, I called the police and they came over right away so I could file a report. They immediately patrolled the area but to no surprise, have not come up with any guilty idiots. My husband and I still drive around the neighborhood every night in hopes that we can catch a glimpse into a garage and see the rusty old Ford pickup. And let me tell you, if I ever find this man, he is going to receive my full wrath. I have never been one for violence, but I honestly think that I could be physically violent towards this man.

I just don't understand how people can be so incredibly, selfishly stupid. I am also extremely grateful for my guardian angels and God for ensuring that my family was kept safe. The scene and all of the "could have" scenerios continue to run through my ever active mind.

2 comments:

Goofball said...

Allie,

phone the police again and add one detail to your report: the guy's name is definately not "BOB" ;-).

beth said...

I'm so glad you guys are ok. This is horrifying. I hate the instances that get replayed over and over again. I hope you can get some closure on this soon.