Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Fall Days at the Zoo

Just look at these colours, could the zoo get any prettier? I have discovered that the secret to having a spectacular day at the zoo is to go during the week in on a crisp, fresh fall day as there are few people there. Oh ... and try to get there by noon as that is when most of the animals get fed as well. We missed many of the feedings therefore most of the animals had full bellies and were therefore quite sated and lazy.
We went for the soul purpose to see the new arrivals at the zoo: the baby elephant, a baby tiger and baby monkeys. We struck out in all three of those exhibits but we did get to see two tigers stalking and playing with one another. We watched the grizzly bears chase one another around; their version of King of the Castle and came to a face to face encounter with the biggest owl known to man. Okay, slight exageration but this thing and it's mate were HUGE!! I have to admit that I had a moment of panic when it dawned on me that these were birds of prey and there was nothing separating them from us. Thankfully, they were just fed so just looked upon us with minor irritation as my son was trying his best to be the Owl Whisperer.

We had so much fun with the zoo being so quiet that we are planning on going again in a few days. This time we will make it there for late morning to ensure that we get to see all of the interesting feedings and antics that come along with it.

8 comments:

Goofball said...

wow, those are great pictures. It looks awesome. Love the owl...could you see him that close?
cool!

Breanne said...

I love the Calgary Zoo!!!!!!!! That is were my hunny asked me to marry him.... and we all know how that turned out ;o)

Jenn said...

I love the zoo too! This is definitely the best time of year to go. I also recommend the mornings.

Glad you had such a great time.

Jenn

Allie said...

Ellen - yep - if I wasn't so concerned about losing my arm to the beast ... erm ... okay owl, all I had to do is reach out and touch it.

Andrea said...

haha...love the picture of your son and that BIG HUGE bear!! ;) I wish we had a zoo closer to our place...I think the closest one is about 3 1/2 hrs. away...so you gotta do some planning for that! Oh well. :) I'm glad you had fun though!!

Anonymous said...

OH it looks so beautiful!! I love the zoo and autumn!

Lesley said...

My boys and I love the zoo! I usually take my boys in the morning on a Saturday or Sunday when Aaron's working.
I especially like it in the fall, the animal smells don't seem quite so strong, I've got a weak stomach for that but the kiddies make it worthwhile.
We've also started a tradition of going on Dec 24th. It's like we've got the zoo to ourselves - most people just seem to go at night for the Zoo lights. I've yet to see them...
We're off to the zoo this Saturday to show it off to my girlfriend from Ontario, can't wait!

Lesley said...

FYI - I've added a wee slideshow of the Xmas cards I made last Sunday to my blog for all scrapbookers/cardmakers viewing pleasure.
:o)